Who says porridge is boring? This recipe is adapted from Jamie Oliver's website, and it's a great one for adults and little ones to enjoy on cool mornings. This recipe is not just delicious but also nutritious: apples (as we know!) are bursting with fibre, antioxidants, polyphenols and Vitamin C, while pecans are full of healthy fats and vitamins and oats are rich in fibre, vitamins and minerals.
Ingredients (makes four small bowls)
- 160g rolled oats
- 600ml milk of your choice (can use water instead)
- 30g unsalted pecans
- 1 eating apple
- Splash of maple syrup
- Place the oats and the milk (or water) into a large pan over a medium heat, and add a tiny pinch of sea salt.
- Bring to a steady simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often to give you a smooth, creamy porridge. Add extra milk if needed.
- While the porridge is blipping away in the pan, prepare the apple and pecan topping.
- Snap the pecans up into little pieces, then toast in a small dry non-stick frying pan over a medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Remove the apple stalk, then use a box grater to coarsely grate it onto a chopping board (core and all).
- Stir the grated apple and a little maple syrup through then porridge, then divide between bowls.
- Scatter the pecans on top, then drizzle with a little extra maple syrup, if you like.
Feel free to add any extra ingredients to taste, such as cinnamon, plain yoghurt or peanut butter.